Mar
08

Iloilo City’s Heritage Pt. 3: Schools

By


Educational institutions in Iloilo City has an extensive history which started with the Spanish era. Most of the recognized schools and universities in the city were established during the early 1900s. A few of the notables are as follows (quoting description from the Iloilo City SEP 2015):

Iloilo National High School – Century old institution established in 1902 through American efforts. The school was housed in a two-storey buiding across the street from the Provincial Capitol before it transferred to its present site in La Paz on land donated by Don Francisco Habana Jalandoni in 1906. In 1904 was a significant year in that, for the first time, Filipino students were sent as government pensionados or scholars to the United States.

University of San Agustin – Augustinians friars from Spain belonging to the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus of the4 Philippines founded the University of San Agustin on 1904. It was raised into a university status on March 1, 1953.The Spanish Augustinians were the first Christian missionaries of any religious order to enter the Philippines and begin its conversion to Catholicism. The motto of the privately-owned university is Virtus it Scientia; The University is named in honor of fourth century saint Augustine of Hippo. On February 5, 1917, it was formally incorporated under thename Colegio de San Agustin de Iloilo.

Saint Paul University and Hospital – The university was founded in 1907. It is one of 42 schools owned, managed, and operated by the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres in the Philippines. The university was previously a women’s college until it finally went co-ed to accommodate male students from the male college of Ateneo de Tuguegarao that closed down. The hospital was established in 1909 by the four sisters- Sr. Donatine, Sr. Antoine, Sr. Augustine, Sr. Felix. Now, it has become one of the biggest and famous hospitals in the metropolis.

UP in the Visayas Iloilo City Campus – Currently the main building of the campus, this historical building is actually the old city hall of Iloilo City. Built more than a decade before the Second World War, this building served the city of Iloilo as its city hall from 1936 till the 50s. The city government donated the building to the university and is still used up to this day.

Central Philippine University – One of the largest institutions in the Visayas, located in the district of Jaro. It was founded by American Baptist missionaries in 1905.Its original name was Jaro Industrial School.The 24- hectare campus, with more than 30 buildings used for classrooms and support facilities. It has remained true to its mission as a Christian institution whose motto is Scientia et Fides (Knowledge and Faith).The beautifully landscaped campus had been declared a tourist destination by the local tourism authority. The city council mentioned CPU as home to the largest library in Western Visayas, the Henry Luce III Library, with more than 200,000 volumes. A non-stock, non-profit Christian institution of higher learning in Iloilo City.




Categories : I am Iloilo